Job Description for Council Chairperson
- Chair all meetings of the statewide independent living council (SILC) and/or SILC executive committee
- Represent the SILC in supervising SILC staff; attend meetings and activities with individuals, other entities and groups; and speak publicly on the SILC’s behalf
- Lead planning efforts of the SILC
- Support council to develop and monitor outcomes of the State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL)
- Sign the state’s plan for independent living on behalf of the entire SILC.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of any and all SILC-designated committees or work teams
- Facilitate development of new independent living leaders within the state
- Commitment to “consumer control”
- Support for equal access and equal opportunity
- Commitment to full integration of people with disabilities into all aspects of society
- Possession of honesty, integrity, and respect for the values of others
- Adherence strong, personal ethics, including maintaining confidentiality and avoiding conflict of interest or self-dealing.
- Ability to lead.
- Knowledge about centers for independent living and independent living services; and the roles of the Council and Centers for Independent Living
- Ability to represent individuals with disabilities while working with others from diverse backgrounds
- Experience actively participating in meetings
TIME PER MONTH (excluding travel time)
- Regular (Quarterly) and Special Council Meetings
- 48 Hours plus travel time and Committee/Work Group Meetings
- Reading and Preparation for Meetings